Southwest Airlines Co (LUV): Today's Featured Transportation Winner
Southwest Airlines (LUV) pushed the Transportation industry higher today making it today's featured transportation winner. The industry as a whole closed the day up 0.7%. By the end of trading, Southwest Airlines rose 19 cents (2.1%) to $9.05 on average volume. Throughout the day, 9.3 million shares of Southwest Airlines exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 9.4 million shares. The stock ranged in a price between $8.84-$9.09 after having opened the day at $8.84 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $8.86. Other companies within the Transportation industry that increased today were: Rand Logistics (RLOG), up 19.1%, US Airways Group (LCC), up 7.7%, YRC Worldwide (YRCW), up 7.5%, and Paragon Shipping (PRGN), up 5.7%. Southwest Airlines Co. engages in the operation of a passenger airline that provides scheduled air transportation in the United States. Southwest Airlines has a market cap of $6.76 billion and is part of the services sector. The company has a P/E ratio of 25.1, above the average transportation industry P/E ratio of 24.4 and above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are up 1.2% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday. Currently there are six analysts that rate Southwest Airlines a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and eight rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates Southwest Airlines as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, good cash flow from operations, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, growth in earnings per share and increase in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself.
- You can view the full Southwest Airlines Ratings Report.
- Use our transportation section to find industry-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV