Pacific Sunwear of California
Another stock in the retail complex that's trading very close to triggering a breakout trade is Pacific Sunwear (PSUN). This is a specialty retailer rooted in the action sports, fashion and music influences of the California lifestyle. The company sells a combination of branded and casual apparel, accessories and footwear designed to appeal to teens and young adults. This stock is off to a flat start in 2012 with shares down 1.4%.
If you look at the chart for Pacific Sunwear of California, you'll notice that this stock plunged big in the last three months, with shares dropping from a high of $2.54 to a recent low of $1.17 a share. During that massive drop, shares of Pacific Sunwear have consistently made lower highs and lower lows, which is bearish technical price action. That said, after hitting the low of $1.17 shares of PSUN has entered a new uptrend, with the stock now making higher highs and higher lows. This move is quickly pushing PSUN within range of triggering a major breakout trade.Traders should now look for long-biased traders in PSUN if it can manage to trigger a break out above some near-term overhead resistance at $1.79 to $1.82 a share with high-volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that registers near or above its three-month average action of 523,562 shares. If we get that move soon, then PSUN could easily re-test its March high of $2.54 a share and possibly take that level out to the upside. I would look to play PSUN off weakness as long as it holds a trend above its 50-day moving average of $1.48 or at least above some near-term support at $1.40 a share. Those are the areas I would set stops if you buy off weakness. If you want to play PSUN off strength, get long once it takes out $1.79 to $1.82 with high-volume, and then simple place a stop a few percentage points below those levels.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV