One name in the online retailer complex that looks ready to trigger a near-term breakout trade is Amazon.com (AMZN). This company serves consumers through its retail Web sites and focuses on selection, price and convenience. This stock is off to a decent start in 2012 with shares up around 26%.
If you look at the chart for Amazon.com, you'll see that this stock gapped up big in May from around $195 to over $225 a share on massive upside volume. Follow that major gap up, shares of Amazon.com have trended lower and recently hit a low of $206.37 a share. After hitting that low, the stock found buying interest right below its 50-day moving average of $209.26 a share, and has since then run up to its current price of near $218 a share. That move has now pushed this stock within range of a near-term breakout trade. That trade will hit once AMZN takes out some near-term overhead resistance with high-volume.Market players should now look for long-biased trades if AMZN can manage to take out some near-term overhead resistance at $221.49 a share with high-volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that's near or above its three-month average action of 4,850,840 shares. If we get that action soon, then AMZN could easily trend higher towards $226 to over $230 a share very quickly. I would look to buy AMZN off strength once it takes out $221.49 a share with high-volume. Simply use a stop a few percentage points below that level if the breakout triggers soon. I don't want to buy AMZN off weakness for this play since the stock could easily drop back towards its 50-day if it's not ready to break out soon. There is some near-term support at $215 that could be used as a reference point if the stock pulls back before triggering that break out.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV