The president said Greece remaining part of the single-currency bloc was in "everyone's interest" and urged eurozone leaders to shore up weak banks. He also noted growing signs of progress in talks about combining austerity measures and growth to combat the region's debt crisis.
The positive trading action came ahead of a weekend that features a raft of economic data from China and a potential banking sector aid request from Spain.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average added 93 points, or 0.75%, to close at 12,554. Thanks mainly to Wednesday's big pop, the blue-chip index finished the week up 3.6% after closing negative for the year a week ago.The S&P 500 tacked on nearly 11 points, or 0.81%, to settle at 1326. The index rose 3.8% for the week and is now up 5.4% in 2012. The Nasdaq gained 27 points, or 0.97%, to finish at 2858. The index advanced 4% for the week, putting it up 9.7% year-to-date.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV