Shares of Wells Fargo (WFC) closed at $31.18 Thursday, returning 15% year-to-date, following a 10% decline in 2011. With a 22% quarterly payout, the shares have a dividend yield of 2.82%.
The shares trade for 1.9 times tangible book value, and for nine times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of $3.68. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate is $3.28.
Citigroup analyst Keith Horowitz has a neutral rating on Wells Fargo, and on Friday lowered his price target for the shares by a dollar to $34, while leaving his 2012 EPS estimate of $3.20 unchanged, and lowering his 2013 estimate by 10 cents to $3.45, and his 2014 estimate by 25 cents to $3.65.Citi estimates that Wells Fargo's net interest margin will decline from 3.86% this year to 3.79% in 2013 and 3.73%. Under the "flat rate scenario," the margin estimates are unchanged, except for slight decline in the 2014 margin estimate, to $3.69. Horowitz called Wells Fargo "one of the better managed companies in the bank sector" and said "the company should benefit from its strong mortgage origination and retail brokerage franchises, as well as see further expense gains from optimizing the Wachovia franchise." "Nevertheless," the analyst said, "we remain on the sidelines with the stock given expected challenges to net interest margins in the anticipated prolonged low rate environment." Over the long term, Horowitz expects Wells Fargo's return on tangible equity to be "in the 18% range, so we see strong long-term value, but view current valuation as fair, with WFC trading at approximately 1.8x tangible book vs. large peers at 1.6x." Interested in more on Wells Fargo? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV