Updated to reflect added media reports of federal, state inquiries
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- After hanging up the cleats, former Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling is throwing in the towel on 38 Studios, the video game developer he founded and received millions in government aid to grow.
Schilling's company, a maker of role-playing video games like Kingdoms of Amalur, filed for bankruptcy on Thursday in a quick demise that's likely to cost Rhode Island taxpayers millions of dollars in losses.
As part of the filing, the company entered a Chapter 7 liquidation in a Delaware bankruptcy court, listing debts in excess of $100 million but assets of just between $10 million and $50 million. Much of that debt is likely owed to taxpayers after 38 Studios took $75 million in government financing to move from Massachusetts to Rhode Island, as part of what was to be a job-creating investment in the struggling state.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV