Industry Comparisons:JDS Uniphase (JDSU)
Ciena Corporation (CIEN)
Juniper Networks (JNPR)
The industry comparisons tell the whole story. A lowering tide lowers all boats and the communications equipment boats are almost aground. Finisar and the others have sold off so much they are becoming oversold technically. The push higher Wednesday towards $15 fell short of breaking the falling trendline, leaving the bear market intact.
Expectations are low and short interest is high. If Finisar is able to provide a surprise beat and guidance it is setup for a rather large short squeeze.
Capstone Turbine (CPST) About the company: Capstone Turbine develops, designs, assembles and sells Capstone MicroTurbines. Capstone trades an average of 2.6 million shares per day with a market cap of $277 million. Capstone is anticipated to report better fourth-quarter earnings on June 14. The consensus estimate is currently -2 cents a share, an improvement of 10 cents (-500%) from -12 cents during the same period last year. Investors have been rewarded somewhat with an increase of year-over-year revenue. Revenue reported was $81.9 million last fiscal year compared to $61.6 million in the previous year. The bottom line has lower losses year-over-year of $-38.47 million last fiscal year compared to $-67.24 million in the previous year. Capstone has lost 43% of its value in the last year and is trading under a dollar. I have no interest in buying this one. The chart looks poor and in six months the stock may face delisting if the price continues to fall (stocks need to keep an average price of $1 or more to remain on Nasdaq). I use industry comparisons and not necessarily direct competitors. At the time of publication the author did not hold a position in any stock mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV