NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Shareholders bracing for spinoffs among Dow Jones Industrial Average components also should brush up on their phonetics.
(KFT) employees invented the name Mondelez
In April, Pfizer made a first big step in streamlining its assets by selling its baby nutrition unit to Nestle for $11.85 billion, after CEO Ian Read outlined plans to consolidate the New York-based drugs giant in mid-2011. By selling and spinning non-drugs related assets, Pfizer is attempting to buy back shares and reinvest in its drugs research and development efforts as some blockbuster drugs like Lipitor go generic.
Pfizer said it expects to provide details regarding the proposed animal health unit IPO as part of its 2012 second quarter earnings announcement."Pfizer Animal Health is a dynamic business with strong fundamentals, an expanding and loyal direct customer base and a proven management team," said Pfizer CEO Read in a Thursday statement. Read also echoed commitment to launch share buybacks with the proceeds of a prospective sale. "Our focus continues to be on taking the actions that will generate the greatest after-tax value for our shareholders, with share repurchases remaining the case to beat in allocating cash proceeds from the separation." As a standalone, Zoetis will be a leader in animal vaccines, medicines and testing equipment, with over 9,000 employees globally and $4.2 billion in 2011 revenue. In April, Bank of America Merrill Lynch analyst Gregg Gilbert said that if Pfizer's animal health unit were to be divested at a similar price-to-sales multiple as the baby nutrition business bought by Nestle, it could be valued at $16 billion and add a further 7% upside to Pfizer's 2013 EPS. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV