The Curse of Perfectionism: Ask Noah
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Q: Lately at work I've noticed myself obsessively checking my reports and documents before I turn them in to my supervisor. I create a final draft of a given project, I then endlessly adjust it before feeling it's ready to go. A buddy at work made me conscious that the drafts don't really improve and I end up becoming overly stressed in the process. Does this sound straight up fear-based? What else do you think is going on here? I really want to put an end to this behavior. Thanks!
A: Sounds as if you've been struck with "The curse of perfectionism." You believe you have the power to create a flawless item. You can't. No one can. You hope that one day things will be exactly the way you want them to be. They won't be. In a competitive workplace, it only makes sense that you would demand the best of yourself, and what you present to your supervisor. However, from your explained actions it sounds as if you aren't spending your time wisely.
You are gripping a distorted paradigm that needs to shift. It is essential for you to find enough confidence in the product you produce, so that you can then release it to your supervisor and expect, and accept feedback.
Here are the tips:
Have a profitable and peaceful week, Noah
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV