A.M. Best Co. has placed under review with negative implications the financial strength rating (FSR) of B++ (Good) and issuer credit rating (ICR) of “bbb” of American Federated Insurance Company and the FSR of B+ (Good) and ICR of “bbb-” of its sister company, American Federated Life Insurance Company (Flowood, MS) (known collectively as American Federated Insurance Companies). The American Federated Insurance Companies are wholly owned subsidiaries of First Tower Corp (First Tower), a multiline specialty finance company.
The rating actions reflect the disclosure of a definitive agreement under which Prospect Capital Corporation (Prospect) (NASDAQ: PSEC) will acquire 80.1% of First Tower, with the remaining 19.9% of the shares being retained by First Tower management. Prospect is a closed-end investment company that lends to and invests in private and microcap public businesses.
The ratings will remain under review until the close of the transaction, discussions with new ownership about its plans and completion of A.M. Best’s analysis of its impact on the companies’ ratings.
The methodology used in determining these ratings is Best’s Credit Rating Methodology , which provides a comprehensive explanation of A.M. Best’s rating process and contains the different rating criteria employed in the rating process. Best’s Credit Rating Methodology can be found at www.ambest.com/ratings/methodology.Founded in 1899, A.M. Best Company is the world’s oldest and most authoritative insurance rating and information source. For more information, visit www.ambest.com. Copyright © 2012 by A.M. Best Company, Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV