NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- U.S. stocks closed on a mixed note Thursday, held in check by Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke's non-committal stance on additional stimulus measures and a downgrade of Spain's credit rating by Fitch.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 46 points, or 0.4%, to close at 12,461, settling more than 90 points below a session high of 12,555.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV