Updated from 9:53 a.m. EST to provide informatio on Baidu search engine story in the sixth paragraph.
Virgin Mobile becomes the second prepaid carrier to start selling Apple's smartphone. It will sell the 8 GB iPhone 4 for $549, and the 16 GB iPhone 4S for $649. The unlimited data and messaging plan starts as low as $30 per month.
Apple is reportedly going to update its Mac Pro line with new Intel (INTC) Xeon E5 processors which may sport either six or eight cores. The new computers would also feature third-generation USB ports and Thunderbolt, according to the Apple Insider Web site.
Apple is reportedly going to add Baidu's (BIDU) search engine for its iDevices in China, as it continues to shift away from Google (GOOG). The iPhone maker may make an announcement as soon as next week, perhaps at its Worldwide Developer Conference (WWDC), which starts on Monday, according to Bloomberg, citing sources close to the situation. Rumors of a search engine deal between Apple and Baidu have swirled for some time. Baidu has not yet responded to TheStreet's request for comment.
The tech giant is also reportedly dropping the limit on the number of iPads a customer can purchase, which had previously been two tablets. The information comes from a leaked internal memo obtained by 9to5Mac. The change goes into effect immediately at Apple Stores across the globe, save for Hong Kong, according to 9to5Mac. There's still a limit on the Apple website, but that may change relatively soon. Apple could not be immediately reached for comment to confirm. Apple shares are higher after market open, gaining 0.2% to $572.61. Interested in more on Apple? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV