5 Best Real Estate Markets for Hipsters
BOSTON (MainStreet) -- Check it out, Daddy-O -- if you like your music live, your beer exotic and your clothes from small boutiques, here's a look at the hippest cities in America to move to.
"'Hipster cities' are a little more forward-thinking -- a little more progressive, a little ahead of the curve," says Rich Beattie of Travel+Leisure magazine, which recently surveyed more than 60,000 tourists to rank 35 U.S. locales for "hipness."
Respondents ranked cities they've visited for the presence of six hip things -- coffee bars, independent boutiques, microbrew restaurants, live music, a tech-savvy population and the presence of offbeat people. Locales that scored well offer "an energy that some people really thrive off of. I think that's what would lure someone to live there," Beattie says.
Of course, he admits squares would find a hip city "to be an absolute annoyance. It all depends on what a particular person is looking for."Presuming you're the former and not the latter, grab your black beret and your copy of Being and Nothingness and check out these five hip locales -- along with a look at each city's real estate market. (Median list prices refer to median asking prices as of April on Realtor.com, the National Association of Realtors' official property-listing site.)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV