WARRINGTON, Pa., June 7, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Discovery Laboratories, Inc. (Nasdaq: DSCO), a specialty biotechnology company dedicated to advancing a new standard in respiratory critical care, today announced it will be presenting neonatal AFECTAIR® data at the 11th European Congress on Pediatric and Neonatal Ventilation being held June 6 – 9, 2012 in Montreux, Switzerland. Though initially presented in the U.S., these data presentations mark the first introduction of the AFECTAIR neonatal device through scientific exchange to a European pediatric critical care audience. The AFECTAIR neonatal device has been developed by Discovery Labs to simplify the delivery of inhaled medications for critical care patients requiring ventilatory support and was cleared for marketing in the U.S. in early 2012. The AFECTAIR neonatal device will be commercially available in the U.S. and EU in late 2012.
Highlights from the two data presentations include:
Utilization of iNO Using a Novel Ventilator Circuit Connector versus Standard of Care Under Simulated Neonatal Mechanical Ventilation Conditions – An In Vitro Study. Mazela, et al.
- The Standard of Care (SoC) for ventilator delivery of inhaled nitric oxide (iNO) in pulmonary hypertension allows for potential iNO dilution, gas loss and environmental contamination.
- According to this study, which simulated neonatal mechanical ventilation conditions using an in vitro model, use of the AFECTAIR neonatal device resulted in the achievement of target nitric oxide concentrations using less nitric oxide when compared to the SoC delivery apparatus.
In Vitro Assessment of a Novel Aerosol Delivery System under Simulated Conditions; Mazela, et al.
- According to this study conducted in an
in vitro model of neonatal mechanical ventilation conditions, when compared with a conventional wye connector, use of the AFECTAIR neonatal device resulted in improved delivery of aerosolized albuterol sulfate, including:
- a nine-fold increase in delivered dose under simulated CPAP conditions
- a 14-fold increase in delivered dose under simulated mechanical ventilation conditions
- a smaller difference in particle size distribution between aerosol output from the nebulizer and aerosol output from the patient interface.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV