Akorn Inc. (AKRX): Today's Featured Drugs Loser
Akorn (AKRX) pushed the Drugs industry lower today making it today's featured Drugs loser. The industry as a whole closed the day up 1.5%. By the end of trading, Akorn fell 16 cents (-1.1%) to $13.98 on average volume. Throughout the day, 1.6 million shares of Akorn exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of one million shares. The stock ranged in price between $13.72-$14.50 after having opened the day at $14.24 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $14.14. Other company's within the Drugs industry that declined today were: Marshall Edwards (MSHL), down 17.9%, Prima Biomed Ltd. ADR (PBMD), down 9.1%, Rosetta Genomics (ROSG), down 8.3%, and Senesco Technologies (SNT), down 7.5%. Akorn, Inc. engages in the manufacture and marketing of diagnostic and therapeutic ophthalmic pharmaceuticals products, niche hospital drugs, and injectable pharmaceuticals in the United States and internationally. Akorn has a market cap of $1.32 billion and is part of the health care sector. The company has a P/E ratio of 32.2, equal to the average drugs industry P/E ratio and above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are up 24.6% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. Currently there are six analysts that rate Akorn a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates Akorn as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, notable return on equity, impressive record of earnings per share growth and compelling growth in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company is trading at a premium valuation based on our review of its current price compared to such things as earnings and book value.
- You can view the full Akorn Ratings Report.
- Use our drugs section to find industry-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV