NEW YORK ( MainStreet) -- What's happening in small business today?
1. There was a drop in big bank lending last month. Despite Bank of America's (BAC) and other big bank initiatives to increase their small business lending, Biz2Credit's Small Business Lending Index showed a slight drop in small business lending by large banks last month.
According to the Index, loan approval rates from large banks (those with more than $10 billion in assets) dipped to 10.2% in May from 10.6% in April. The approval rate is still above the year-earlier percentage of 9.8%, Biz2Credit says.
But small bank loan approvals also fell slightly to 45.5% from 45.9% in April. The approval rate is slightly above the year-earlier rate of 45%, the report says.Credit unions and alternative lenders, on the other hand, increased lending in May compared both to the prior Month and year-earlier period, the report says. Credit unions approved 57.6% of small business loans in May, while lenders who offer alternative financing, such as factoring and merchant cash advances, approved 63.2% of applications. The monthly index analyzes 1,000 loan applications through Biz2Credit.com. Loan requests range from $25,000 to $3 million from companies in business more than two years with an average credit score above 680. Biz2Credit's online platform connects business borrowers with more than 1,100 lenders nationwide. "This is the third month in a row that big bank lending to small businesses dropped. Small banks decreased their lending approvals for a second straight month, as well. Combined with another poor jobs report, continued jitters in Europe and uncertainty on Wall Street, the economy looks like it is slowing," Biz2Credit's CEO Rohit Arora. "One thing cannot be denied: lending for small businesses, which create the lion's share of new jobs, has stalled." 2. Business plans that turn heads. While there are differing views about the relevancy of a formal business plan these days, the notion remains the same: if you're asking for money, whether a few thousand from family or several million from strangers, "you'd better have your ducks in a row before you ask," YoungEntrepreneur.com co-founder Matthew Toren writes. In other words, create a business plan. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV