For a third example of a small, young, financial-sector stock that's showing good technical strength, look to FX Alliance (FX), a forex-trading platform for institutional users. The company operates under the moniker FXall. It went public at $12 in February, and was trading at around $16.60 toward the end of Tuesday's session, a gain of 38% since its debut. It, too, was showing some buying above its 10-week line.
These companies are outpacing the market in a downturn and they are good ones to continue watching in coming weeks. There are plenty of examples of stocks that get swept away in a new tsunami of selling, so moving-average support can be broken.
The upshot? Recent IPOs showing good moving average support are worth tracking, but new buys in this poor market environment could be at risk of breaking down.
This complementary article originally appeared in Real Money, a premium investment information service from TheStreet, Inc. Click Here to start your free two week trial of Real Money courtesy of TheStreet.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV