NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Alongside recent rumors that Apple (AAPL) and Facebook (FB) will hook-up on iOS 6 and your obligatory weekly Apple TV chatter, we're getting the latest round of mini iPad rumors. The latest impetus was a Wall Street analyst, who, after a jaunt to Taiwan, said the iPad Mini was coming in September.
This puts the iPad Mini rumors in a slightly different light. They've previously been the purview of journalists and fly-by-night Internet creatures. But it still doesn't give the rumors the needed air of certainty. The report was pretty vague. Wall Street analysts have -- wouldn't you know it? -- been wrong before, especially on Apple products. Apple operates under a veil of secrecy and is vexing to cover as a journalist or analyst.
Yet there the media goes again, reporting on a rumor like it's the God's honest truth. CNBC actually deploys the present tense, as if the new product, which might still be a figment of the imagination, is already here: "iPad Mini Puts Apple in Sweet Spot: Pros." Nothing in the article counsels caution. When The New York Post, the famously hyperbolic tabloid, is your voice of reason, you know something is wrong. They ran with the headline: "Mini I Pad Rumblings." Got that? This talk hasn't risen to a level greater than a low undefined growl. Just because it's coming from a Wall Street analyst rather than a pixel-stained wretch, doesn't mean you should treat it any differently.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV