Netflix, based in Los Gatos, Calif., announced the Open Connect Network in a blog post on Monday.
"The world's other major Internet video provider, YouTube, has long had its own content delivery network," explained Ken Florance, the company's vice president of content delivery. "Given our size and growth, it now makes economic sense for Netflix to have one as well."
Netflix will continue working with its content delivery partners for the next few years, but eventually most of its data will be delivered by Open Connect, according to Florance.The news hammered shares of content delivery specialists Limelight Networks (LLNW) and Akamai (AKAM), which plunged 12.59% and 3.24%, respectively, on Tuesday. Newly public Facebook (FB) was once again one of the most active Nasdaq stocks in premarket trading on share volume of 303,089. Facebook shares, which hit a new low of $25.75 on Tuesday, rose 1.12% to $26.16 before market open. Database giant Oracle (ORCL), which announced its acquisition of privately held cloud specialist Collective Intellect on Tuesday, rose 1.22% to $27.03 in premarket trading. The terms of the agreement weren't disclosed. Shares of HP, which is embroiled in a high-profile breach of contract lawsuit against Oracle, crept up 0.88% to $21.87. --Written by James Rogers in New York. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV