BioCryst Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ:BCRX) today announced that additional safety and efficacy results from its BCX4208 gout program will be presented at the Annual European Congress of Rheumatology hosted by the European League Against Rheumatism (EULAR) in Berlin, Germany on June 7 & 8, 2012.
Three posters summarize pharmacokinetic (PK), safety and efficacy results from BioCryst’s Phase 2b trial of BCX4208 added to allopurinol in patients with gout who had failed to reach the serum uric acid (sUA) therapeutic goal of <6.0 mg/dL on allopurinol alone. Positive 24-week results were reported from this trial earlier this year.
- “BCX4208, A Novel Enzyme Inhibitor for Chronic Management of Gout Shows a Low Risk of Potential Drug-Drug Interactions” concludes that BCX4208 undergoes renal elimination, is not metabolized by liver cells and does not induce, or inhibit, CYP isoforms or common drug transporters. Therefore, BCX4208 should have a low risk of drug-drug interactions with medications commonly prescribed to patients with gout. (Poster FRI0401)
- “Long-term Safety of BCX4208 Added to Allopurinol in the Chronic Management of Gout: Results of a Phase 2 24-week Blinded Safety Extension and Vaccine Challenge Study” concludes that BCX4208 was safe and generally well-tolerated when added to allopurinol. Patients showed no signal for infections and generated a healthy immune response to vaccination. No differences were seen in the rate or severity of adverse events or infections across all treatment groups. (Poster FRI0380)
- “BCX4208 Added to Allopurinol Increases Response Rates in Patients with Gout who Fail to Reach Goal Range Serum Uric Acid on Allopurinol Alone: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial” concludes that BCX4208 plus allopurinol doubled the proportion of patients achieving goal of sUA <6 mg/dL compared to allopurinol alone. In a patient subgroup whose baseline sUA was >6.5 mg/dL, a more than 4-fold increase in response was observed when BCX4208 was added to allopurinol compared to allopurinol alone. (Poster FRI0367)
In addition, the abstract “Effect of BCX4208 Add-On Therapy to Allopurinol 300 mg on Plasma Hypoxanthine and Xanthine Concentrations in Gout Patients” was accepted as an oral presentation and concludes that BCX4208 in combination with allopurinol resulted in dose-dependent mean reductions in plasma xanthine and hypoxanthine concentrations in gout patients. These results confirm the mechanism of action of BCX4208. (Abstract OP0106)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV