TUPELO, Miss., June 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- BancorpSouth, Inc. (NYSE: BXS) announced today that its subsidiary, BancorpSouth Bank, continues to experience an increased level of fraudulent messages, often referred to as phishing, targeting numerous BancorpSouth customers and non-customers.
The automated phone calls typically give the pretext of activating a debit card and ask the recipient to provide their debit or credit card number and PIN for identification. These messages are being sent by way of cell phone calls, text messages, and emails. The messages generally mention that the card number for the recipient has been deactivated. This is an effort to have the recipient contact a phone number or web site to provide card information. These calls are not legitimate. BancorpSouth will never ask for personal or account information by these means. Should an account holder receive a suspicious phone call or e-mail, consumers should NOT give out any personal or account information.
In the event consumers become suspicious about a call received regarding their debit or credit cards, they should contact BancorpSouth's Customer Service Center at 888-797-7711, or a BancorpSouth office, prior to providing any information.
About BancorpSouthBancorpSouth is a financial holding company headquartered in Tupelo, Mississippi, with $13.3 billion in assets. BancorpSouth Bank, a wholly owned subsidiary of BancorpSouth, Inc., operates 290 commercial banking, mortgage, insurance, trust and broker dealer locations in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Tennessee and Texas, and an insurance location in Illinois. BancorpSouth's common stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol BXS. SOURCE BancorpSouth, Inc.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV