Nordion Launches New TheraSphere® Preceptor Program For Doctors
Experienced interventional radiologists to provide medical and technical advice to treatment users
OTTAWA, June 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ - Nordion Inc. (TSX: NDN) (NYSE: NDZ), a leading provider of products and services for the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of disease, today announced the launch of a new preceptor program to support doctors using TheraSphere ®, the company's Yttrium-90 (Y-90) glass microsphere liver cancer treatment.
Matthew Johnson, MD, Professor of Radiology and Surgery at the Indiana University School of Medicine in Indianapolis, and Siddharth Padia, MD, Assistant Professor of Interventional Radiology at the University of Washington in Seattle, are both highly experienced TheraSphere ® users, having between them administered more than 1,000 Y-90 radioembolization treatments. As preceptors, they will help guide and coach physicians at various stages of TheraSphere ® clinical use.
"Nordion wants to help physicians develop a solid technical foundation for treating hepatocellular carcinoma with TheraSphere ®," explained Mason Ross, MD, Nordion's VP of Medical Affairs. "This program is designed to assist doctors to make independent decisions with confidence about the use and administration of TheraSphere ®. With the training programs at our Centers of Excellence in the US and Europe, our technical proctors and these new physician preceptors, Nordion now offers end-to-end training and support for physicians in the use of Therasphere ®, whether it's their first dose or their 100 th."The preceptors will provide medical and technical advice to physicians using TheraSphere ®. Their role includes:
- Advising peers on appropriate patient selection and screening
- Reviewing imaging scans of potential patients
- Providing guidance on treatment planning
- Reviewing dosimetry and dose selection considerations for specific patients
- Advising on treatment administration techniques
- Providing post-treatment guidance
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts