Christopher & Banks Corporation (NYSE: CBK), a specialty women’s apparel retailer, today reported results for the thirteen-week period ended April 28, 2012, its first quarter of fiscal 2012. As previously announced, the Company changed its fiscal year end to the Saturday nearest to the end of January, from the Saturday nearest to the end of February, to better align the Company’s financial reporting periods with its operational cycle and with other specialty retail companies. Financial results for the first quarter will be compared to the thirteen-week period ended April 30, 2011.
Results for the Thirteen-Week Period Ended April 28, 2012
- Net sales totaled $93.6 million, as compared to $110.4 million in the comparable period last year. Same store sales decreased 15% in the first quarter as compared to the comparable period last year.
- Operating loss totaled $13.4 million and included a $0.8 million, or $0.02 per share, credit related to non-cash store asset impairment and restructuring charges. This compares to an operating loss of $8.3 million for the thirteen weeks ended April 30, 2011.
- Net loss for the quarter totaled $13.4 million, or $0.38 per share, including the $0.02 per share credit related to the above-mentioned non-cash asset impairment and restructuring charges. Net loss for the thirteen-weeks ended April 30, 2011 totaled $8.2 million, or $0.23 per share.
Joel Waller, President and Chief Executive Officer, commented, “Our financial results reflect continued customer resistance to the residual merchandise assortment that consisted of styles that were too updated and priced too high while lacking in key categories. While we were able to impact a small portion of the first quarter merchandise assortment with improved styles and a better price/value proposition, the majority of the assortment needed to be aggressively marked down.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV