The Pros and Cons of the Eurobond
Political debate aside, eurobonds are plagued with so many administrative hurdles, they may never see the light of day. Article 125 of the Lisbon Treaty -- the infamous no-bailout clause -- states the EU or any member state "shall not be liable for or assume the commitments of central governments, regional, local or other public authorities, other bodies governed by public law, or public undertakings of any member state." Eurobonds thus require a treaty amendment -- a Herculean task, considering all 27 heads of state must sign off and all national parliaments need to ratify it. Negotiations on language all parties find acceptable, including potential opt-outs, could take years.
In Fisher Investments' view, the deregulation, tax relief and labor market liberalization Merkel's pushing likely provide the best long-term path for Europe. As ever, though, there's likely no quick fix for the region.
Even if the union can pull off eurobonds in the far future, as a potential near-term fix for the eurozone they're no more a silver bullet than any of the other grand plans touted in the past two-plus years. But the political will to preserve the euro remains steadfast, and officials likely continue their step-by-step approach to keeping the currency union intact.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV