BALTIMORE, June 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Legg Mason, Inc. (NYSE: LM) announced today that its Scholars Choice College Savings Program has locked up the #1 spot for advisor-sold 529 plans for the three-year period as of March 31, 2012, based on investment performance. For the first time, Savingforcollege.com gave Scholars Choice top honors for the three-year period both with and without the impact of fees. In addition, this is the tenth quarter in a row that Savingforcollege.com ranked Scholars Choice among the top 4 performing advisor-sold 529 plans for a quarterly rolling one-year period (including fees).
"Tuition continues to rise, making college affordability a major concern for parents right now," remarked Matt Schiffman, Head of Global Marketing for Legg Mason. "With its solid results and active management, Scholars Choice helps investors make the most of their savings, putting college within reach for investors nationwide."
Joseph Hurley, founder and CEO of Savingforcollege.com, noted, "A proven track record is an important criterion to consider when choosing a 529 plan. In fact, over time plan performance may even trump the value of the state tax benefit. Investors and their financial advisors would be wise to factor this into their analysis."
Savingforcollege.com—an independent informational website owned by JFH Innovative LLC — is generally regarded by industry professionals as one of the leading experts on college savings. Scholars Choice is managed by Legg Mason's independent investment firm, Legg Mason Global Asset Allocation, and distributed by Legg Mason Investor Services for the State of Colorado.Ranking Methodology The Savingforcollege.com Plan Composite Rankings, which rank Class A Unit portfolio performance for a universe of advisor-sold 529 plans, apply to the rolling one-, three-year periods through the end of each calendar quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV