How Does the Fed Funds Rate Affect Treasury Bills?
Second, demand for Treasury bills is much more rigid than demand for notes and bonds. Treasury bills are the quintessential risk-free asset. Like all Treasury securities, they are free of credit risk. And as short-term instruments, they also are free of interest rate risk. Investors who want a totally risk-free asset -- or institutional investors that have internal requirements regarding totally risk-free assets -- have no choice but to buy Treasury bills.
"Treasury bill yields in general tend to be artificially low because a few accounts will sacrifice a good deal of yield for a legally risk-free instrument," Wrightsom & Associates chief economist Lou Crandall explains.
In other words, the mechanism that keeps Treasury note and bond yields from dropping too low -- people will resist buying them -- isn't present to the same degree in the bill market. Accordingly, a shortage of bills can cause their yields to drop sharply, regardless of where the fed funds rate stands.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV