While Samsung in making tremendous strides by pricing its phones lower, however, what it needs to do in order to truly "RIM" Apple is to figure out of way to take away Apple's margins in the high-end devices where Apple is the clear-cut winner. For Samsung to do that, it will need to get its current customers to pay for the higher-margin phones - a task that will not come easy.
As we are quick to point out all of the great things that Apple is doing and offering standing ovations for its brilliance and creativity, the company has shown a history of not playing well from behind. We first saw this when the rise of software giant Microsoft (MSFT) and the dominance of the personal computer almost sent Apple into bankruptcy -- essentially, the word "Apple" almost became a verb of its own.
While it is grossly premature to say that Samsung is on the verge of burying Apple, it is not out of the realm of possibility that it could happen. After all, although Apple appears unbeatable today, on Wall Street there is no such thing as infinite success.Instead, it is a cut-throat industry where the market leader (in this case Apple) is always the target of every rival wanting what it has. The question is, will Apple be foolish enough to make the mistake of allowing Samsung's ascent to dictate its next move? Or, worse yet, will it become complacent, rest on its laurels and do nothing?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV