NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- In today's ultra-low interest rate environment, long-term investors may wish to consider dividend stocks as an alternative -- or supplement -- to fixed income investments.
At 2.14%, the dividend yield of the S&P 500 index is around 50 basis points in excess of the 10-year Treasury note. This is historically significant. From 1959 to 2009, the yield of the U.S. Treasury note consistently exceeded the yield of the S&P 500.
|Special Section for Income Investors >>|
While the yield of the S&P 500 is paltry by absolute [and historical] standards, a diverse basket of fairly priced stocks offers a reasonable likelihood of capital preservation (in the long term).
Each of the five stocks on the following pages has a higher dividend yield than the 10-year U.S. Treasury note and has a buy rating from TheStreet Ratings. They may make an attractive addition to your income portfolio.TheStreet Ratings stock-rating model favors defensive investments with a bias toward conservatively financed companies that have demonstrated a history of favorable shareholder returns. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel -- rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV