The Solar Electric Power Association (SEPA) has recognized Tucson Electric Power (TEP) as the 2012 Investor Owned Utility (IOU) of the Year for the company’s leadership and continued investment in solar energy.
“We’ve worked very hard to embrace solar energy as a clean, renewable resource for our customers and an opportunity for economic development in our community. We couldn’t be more pleased to receive this honor,” said Paul Bonavia, Chairman and CEO of TEP and its parent company, UNS Energy Corporation (NYSE: UNS). “TEP has studied and maintained solar energy systems for more than a decade. In recent years, we’ve dramatically expanded our solar resources in Southern Arizona, and we are committed to adding solar resources in the future.”
TEP currently has more than 45 megawatts (MW) of solar generating capacity, enough to meet the annual electric needs of more than 8,000 Tucson homes. By the end of 2014, TEP expects to have more than 240 MW of solar generating capacity, enough to meet the annual electric needs of more than 46,000 homes.
SEPA is a Washington D.C.-based trade group with more than 1,000 utility and solar industry members nationwide. The award was presented yesterday to Bonavia and David Hutchens, President of TEP and UNS Energy, in Orlando, Fla., during a ceremony held on the eve of the annual convention of the Edison Electric Institute (EEI), an association of shareholder-owned electric companies representing approximately 70 percent of the U.S. electric power industry.To select the recipient of the Investor Owned Utility of the Year award, SEPA evaluated the 2011 solar energy initiatives of more than 50 utility companies. Criteria included completion of solar projects, program diversity, program partnerships, innovation, net-metering and interconnection policy, leadership and support from management, community awareness and marketing efforts, and customer service and accessibility. During SEPA’s evaluations, TEP’s solar initiatives shined for several reasons:
- With the launch of the Bright Tucson Community Solar program, TEP was the country’s first IOU to offer a program that allows customers to purchase energy from local solar arrays in 150 kilowatt-hour (kWh) “blocks,” thus reducing or eliminating their use of conventional power while locking in an affordable solar energy rate for up to 20 years. Last year, SEPA recognized TEP with an award for Utility Innovation in Solar Program Design for the program.
- Continued partnership with the University of Arizona (UA) Science and Technology Park’s Solar Zone, where TEP both owns and purchases power from large, utility-scale solar farms built by several solar developers using different solar technologies.
- TEP’s 5 MW Sundt Solar Boost Project, which will produce up to 5 MW of electricity using a concentrating solar power system without added emissions at the company’s H. Wilson Sundt Generating Station in Tucson.
- TEP is currently studying various forms of electric energy storage (EES) technologies, which will play a critical role in renewable integration. TEP is working with the Arizona Research Institute for Solar Energy (AzRISE), the UA and other project partners to develop a combined compressed air and battery storage system at the UA’s Science and Technology Park southeast of Tucson.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV