First Republic has been a strong earnings performer, with ROA ranging from 1.31% to 1.57% over the past year, with a net interest margin above 4%.
The bank's shares closed at $30.11 Friday, down 2% year-to-date, following a 5% return during 2011.
The shares trade for 1.6 times tangible book value and 10 times the consensus 2013 earnings estimate of $2.89 a share, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate is $2.77.Bank of America Merrill Lynch analyst Erika Penala on May 23 reiterated her "Buy" rating for First Republic Bank, with a price target of $36, saying the stock offers investors "high quality, superior loan growth and a defensive balance sheet," while forecasting "best in class annual organic loan growth" of "18% in 2012; 17% in 2013; and 12% in 2014." Interested in more on First Republic Bank? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Strongest California Banks and ThriftsBased on fourth-quarter financial reports, 11 California institutions were assigned "recommended" ratings of B-plus or above by Weiss Ratings:
Thorough Bank Failure CoverageThere has been only one bank failure in California this year. All 438 previous U.S. bank and thrift closures since the beginning of 2008 are detailed in TheStreet's interactive bank failure map:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV