ISTANBUL, June 4, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Turkcell (NYSE:TKC, ISE: TCELL), the leading communications and technology company in Turkey, today released its letter to Lord Leonard Hoffmann, who had requested Turkcell's cooperation in his investigation of allegations that MTN Group Ltd and its subsidiary MTN International Limited (together MTN) through corruption and bribery in 2004 and 2005 stole the Iranian second GSM license opportunity from Turkcell. In February 2012 MTN Group announced that it had appointed Lord Hoffmann to investigate Turkcell's allegations; it remains unclear whether Lord Hoffmann's investigation is being conducted as a lawyer for the MTN Group or as an independent investigator.
Accompanying its letter, Turkcell provided Lord Hoffmann sworn testimony from a former MTN employee in Iran definitely proving that MTN paid bribes, promised assistance on nuclear issues at the IAEA and with the sale of arms to Iran from South Africa, and entered into sham agreements for payments to its Iranian partners. The testimony authenticates each of the MTN documents attached to Turkcell's complaint in connection with its lawsuit against MTN and supports the allegations of Turkcell's claims against MTN.
In its letter, Turkcell called upon Lord Hoffmann to publicly demand that MTN stop all efforts to cover up the investigation into Turkcell's legal claims and, citing Siemens' successful 2007 corruption investigation as precedent, Turkcell called upon Lord Hoffman to demand that MTN offer full and complete amnesty to all current and former MTN employees who have information relevant to the investigation. Turkcell identified for Lord Hoffmann MTN's multiple efforts to chill his investigation, to cover up facts of the case by intimidating witnesses, and to discourage additional witnesses from coming forward. More specifically, Turkcell noted:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV