KING OF PRUSSIA, Pa., June 4, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Universal Health Services, Inc. (NYSE: UHS) ("UHS") announced today that they have reached a definitive agreement whereby UHS will acquire Ascend Health Corporation ("Ascend") for $500 million in cash. Including the assumption of $17 million in Ascend net debt, the total transaction consideration is approximately $517 million.
UHS's acquisition of Ascend is a strategic transaction that enhances our industry-leading presence in the behavioral health care services sector. Ascend is the largest private psychiatric hospital provider with 9 owned or leased freestanding psychiatric inpatient facilities located in 5 states including Texas, Arizona, Utah, Oregon and Washington.
"We are thrilled to add Ascend's high quality assets to our strong portfolio of behavioral health facilities. We expect this acquisition to be immediately accretive to earnings and provide organic growth and expansion opportunities," said Alan B. Miller, Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Board of UHS. We expect to complete the transaction in the fourth quarter of 2012, subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approvals and clearance under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act.
"Ascend and UHS have always shared a common set of principals and a commitment to the highest quality of care. We believe that combining with UHS represents an outstanding opportunity for our Company and will greatly benefit our patients and staff," said Richard Kresch, M.D., President and Chief Executive Officer of Ascend.J.P. Morgan Securities LLC is acting as financial advisor to UHS. Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP is acting as legal advisor to UHS. Goldman, Sachs & Co. is acting as financial advisor to Ascend. Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP is acting as legal advisor to Ascend.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV