Tivozanib is an investigational drug that successfully completed a pivotal Phase 3 trial called TIVO-1 in which tivozanib demonstrated superiority in progression-free survival and favorable tolerability versus sorafenib in first-line advanced RCC.
About Kidney Cancer
Advanced RCC, or kidney cancer, is the ninth most commonly diagnosed cancer in men and women in the U.S. 1 Worldwide it is estimated that more than 250,000 people are diagnosed and more than 100,000 people die from the disease each year. 2 RCC accounts for more than 90 percent of all kidney cancers. 3 Currently available therapies provide less than one year of median PFS in treatment naïve patients and are associated with significant toxicities. 4 These toxicities not only lead to high rates of dose reductions and interruptions (potentially compromising efficacy), but also can impact a patient’s quality of daily living. 5
About TivozanibTivozanib is a potent, selective, long half-life inhibitor of all three vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) receptors that is designed to optimize VEGF blockade while minimizing off-target toxicities. Tivozanib is an oral, once-daily, investigational tyrosine kinase inhibitor for which positive results from a Phase 3 clinical study in advanced renal cell carcinoma have been reported, and is being evaluated in other tumors. About TIVO-1 TIVO-1 is a global, randomized Phase 3 superiority clinical trial evaluating the efficacy and safety of investigational drug tivozanib compared to sorafenib in 517 patients with advanced RCC. TIVO-1 is the first superiority pivotal study in advanced RCC that has demonstrated statistically significant progression-free survival (PFS) superiority versus an approved targeted agent (sorafenib) in advanced RCC. All patients in TIVO-1 had clear cell RCC, had undergone a prior nephrectomy, and had not previously been treated with either a VEGF or mTOR therapy. Key findings from TIVO-1 include 6:
- Based on independent radiological reviews, tivozanib demonstrated a statistically significant improvement in PFS with a median PFS of 11.9 months compared to a median PFS of 9.1 months for sorafenib in the overall (Intent To Treat) study population (HR=0.797, 95% CI 0.639–0.993; P=0.042). Objective response rate (ORR) for tivozanib was 33% compared to 23% for sorafenib (p=0.014). The efficacy advantage of tivozanib over sorafenib was consistent across subgroups in the study.
In patients who were treatment naïve for advanced RCC (70% of total
study population), tivozanib demonstrated a statistically significant
improvement in PFS with a median PFS of 12.7 months compared to a
median PFS of 9.1 months for sorafenib (HR 0.756, 95% CI 0.580–0.985;
- In the subpopulation of patients who were pretreated with systemic therapy including cytokines (30% of total study population), tivozanib demonstrated an improvement in PFS with a median PFS of 11.9 months compared to a median PFS of 9.1 months for sorafenib.
The most common adverse event (all grades/≥grade 3) for tivozanib was
hypertension (T: 44%/25% vs S: 34%/17%) and for sorafenib was
hand-foot syndrome (T: 13%/2% vs S: 54%/17%). Other adverse events
included diarrhea (T: 22%/2% vs S: 32%/6%), fatigue (T: 18%/5% vs S:
16%/4%), and neutropenia (T: 10%/2% vs S: 9%/2%).
- The rate of dose interruptions due to adverse events was 18% for tivozanib compared to 35% for sorafenib (p<0.001).
- The rate of dose reductions due to adverse events was 12% for tivozanib compared to 43% for sorafenib (p<0.001).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV