Tivozanib is an investigational drug that successfully completed a pivotal Phase 3 trial called TIVO-1 in which tivozanib demonstrated superiority in progression-free survival and favorable tolerability versus sorafenib in first-line advanced RCC.
About Kidney Cancer
Advanced RCC, or kidney cancer, is the ninth most commonly diagnosed cancer in men and women in the U.S. 1 Worldwide it is estimated that more than 250,000 people are diagnosed and more than 100,000 people die from the disease each year. 2 RCC accounts for more than 90 percent of all kidney cancers. 3 Currently available therapies provide less than one year of median PFS in treatment naïve patients and are associated with significant toxicities. 4 These toxicities not only lead to high rates of dose reductions and interruptions (potentially compromising efficacy), but also can impact a patient’s quality of daily living. 5
About TivozanibTivozanib is a potent, selective, long half-life inhibitor of all three vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) receptors that is designed to optimize VEGF blockade while minimizing off-target toxicities. Tivozanib is an oral, once-daily, investigational tyrosine kinase inhibitor for which positive results from a Phase 3 clinical study in advanced renal cell carcinoma have been reported, and is being evaluated in other tumors. About TIVO-1 TIVO-1 is a global, randomized Phase 3 superiority clinical trial evaluating the efficacy and safety of investigational drug tivozanib compared to sorafenib in 517 patients with advanced RCC. TIVO-1 is the first superiority pivotal study in advanced RCC that has demonstrated statistically significant progression-free survival (PFS) superiority versus an approved targeted agent (sorafenib) in advanced RCC. All patients in TIVO-1 had clear cell RCC, had undergone a prior nephrectomy, and had not previously been treated with either a VEGF or mTOR therapy. Key findings from TIVO-1 include 6:
- Based on independent radiological reviews, tivozanib demonstrated a statistically significant improvement in PFS with a median PFS of 11.9 months compared to a median PFS of 9.1 months for sorafenib in the overall (Intent To Treat) study population (HR=0.797, 95% CI 0.639–0.993; P=0.042). Objective response rate (ORR) for tivozanib was 33% compared to 23% for sorafenib (p=0.014). The efficacy advantage of tivozanib over sorafenib was consistent across subgroups in the study.
- In patients who were treatment naïve for advanced RCC (70% of total study population), tivozanib demonstrated a statistically significant improvement in PFS with a median PFS of 12.7 months compared to a median PFS of 9.1 months for sorafenib (HR 0.756, 95% CI 0.580–0.985; P=0.037).
- In the subpopulation of patients who were pretreated with systemic therapy including cytokines (30% of total study population), tivozanib demonstrated an improvement in PFS with a median PFS of 11.9 months compared to a median PFS of 9.1 months for sorafenib.
- The most common adverse event (all grades/≥grade 3) for tivozanib was hypertension (T: 44%/25% vs S: 34%/17%) and for sorafenib was hand-foot syndrome (T: 13%/2% vs S: 54%/17%). Other adverse events included diarrhea (T: 22%/2% vs S: 32%/6%), fatigue (T: 18%/5% vs S: 16%/4%), and neutropenia (T: 10%/2% vs S: 9%/2%).
- The rate of dose interruptions due to adverse events was 18% for tivozanib compared to 35% for sorafenib (p<0.001).
- The rate of dose reductions due to adverse events was 12% for tivozanib compared to 43% for sorafenib (p<0.001).
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.