- In production, such as for a factory making widgets, scalability means there is a way to increase production of the widget to take advantage of opportunity. What if after selling, selling, selling, a large order actually comes in -- then what? If there is scalability, it means the company easily increases production to fulfill that large order.
- For computers and transmission services, scalability refers to the technical capacity to manage more customers, more bandwidth and/or more computer operations. Companies such as Verizon(VZ) and AT&T(T) providing services via fiber, with its near infinite bandwidth capacity, are ready to scale up their bandwidth capacity to meet customer needs.
- When referring to software, it's the ability to upgrade features quickly and increase functionality while continuing to serve more and more users.
- To a financial analyst, scalability means the company appears to have economies of scale. The larger the company gets, the bigger the profits. And as sales increase, the management team has the resources to respond to the increased activity, not just the additional costs and expenses but the behind-the-scenes systems and personnel. The opposite of scalability just might be Trouble with a capital T.
- Think about a Groupon(GRPN) deal gone bad, when a business becomes overwhelmed with increased sales activity and instead of creating satisfied customers the result is just a lot of headaches for all involved. When that happens (as it does), the company has demonstrated the exact opposite of "scalable."
ExecuSpeak Dictionary: Scalable
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.