Industrial conglomerate United Technologies (UTX) manufactures a strong portfolio of construction, aviation, and security products, ranging from Carrier air conditioners to Sikorsky helicopters. UTX's diversification, particularly the inclusion of more recession resistant businesses in its model, is a big plus for investors who want exposure to industrials without the full-blown cyclical swings.
Currently, UTX pays out a quarterly 48-cent dividend. That's a 2.6% yield at current price levels.It's important to remember that UTX's businesses aren't just focused around product sales; they also generate massive aftermarket sales for parts and consumable products that provide large recurring revenues year after year. Those revenues are sticky too. Since the elevators and jet engines that UTX makes are big ticket items, it's not as if a customer can just replace the unit rather than buy replacement parts from United. >>5 Blue-Chip Stocks to Avoid United Technologies, like many other industrials, operates in a capital-intense set of businesses. The manufacturing machinery that powers its factories are extremely expensive -- and so are the acquisitions that UTX has made in recent years. Still, the firm's balance sheet is still in reasonable shape, and dividends should keep flowing for the foreseeable future thanks to strong cash flow generation. Investors should be watching for a dividend hike in the next quarter. UTX can afford it. As of the most recently reported quarter, United Technologies was one of Third Poitn's holdings. It also shows up on a list of 6 Companies That May Profit From Increased Gun Exports.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV