TUPELO, MISS., June 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- BancorpSouth, Inc. (NYSE: BXS) announced today that it has reached a settlement in principle of the class action securities litigation pending in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee entitled Winslow vs. BancorpSouth, et al. The settlement is subject to execution of a definitive settlement agreement and court approval. In this lawsuit, the plaintiff alleged that BancorpSouth and certain of its executives violated federal securities laws by issuing materially false and misleading statements regarding BancorpSouth's business and financial results. Defendants deny all of plaintiff's allegations of wrongdoing.
The parties, including the Company's insurance carriers, negotiated the terms of the settlement, with the assistance of a former United States federal district judge acting as a mediator, that they believe are in their respective best interests. The settlement allows both sides to avoid the potential risks and costs of lengthy litigation.
BancorpSouth's insurance carriers will fund the settlement payment, other than an immaterial amount of incidental expenses that BancorpSouth will cover. Management believes that the settlement will not have a material adverse effect on BancorpSouth's business, consolidated financial position or results of operations.
About BancorpSouthBancorpSouth is a financial holding company headquartered in Tupelo, Mississippi, with $13.3 billion in assets. BancorpSouth Bank, a wholly owned subsidiary of BancorpSouth, Inc., operates 290 commercial banking, mortgage, insurance, trust and broker dealer locations in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Tennessee and Texas, and an insurance location in Illinois. BancorpSouth's common stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol BXS. Forward-Looking Statement
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV