CHICAGO (TheStreet) - -An experimental drug from Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) that helps the immune system attack cancer cells was able to shrink tumors in patients with melanoma, kidney and non-small cell lung cancers, according to results from an early-stage study being presented Saturday today at the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) annual meeting.
The promising Bristol drug, BMS-936658, follows in the footsteps of Yervoy, another Bristol drug that was approved last year to treat melanoma and which also harnesses the power of a patient's immune system to fight cancer.
Bristol is accelerating development of '658 and will push the drug into pivotal, phase III studies in lung cancer, melanoma and kidney cancer, based in part of the data presented at this year's ASCO meeting.
The phase I study enrolled patients diagnosed with solid tumors that had progressed despite treatment with currently approved therapies. After treatment with Bristol's '658, responses (partial tumor shrinkage) were observed in patients wtih melanoma, kidney cancer patients and lung cancer. Updated data will be presented at ASCO Saturday afternoon.Bristol's '658 is an antibody that targets a cellular signal known as PD-1 which cancer cells turn on to prevent attacks from T-cells, the white blood cells that help fight infection and cancer. By blocking or turning off the PD-1 pathway, Bristol's '658 appears to re-activate the immune system and allows it to fight tumor cells. Merck (MRK), Roche (RHHBY) and GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) are also developing their own PD-1 inhibitors as potential cancer therapies. --Written by Adam Feuerstein in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Adam Feuerstein. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/adamfeuerstein.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV