Amazon's Challenge: Selling Clothes That Actually Fit
By Evann Gastaldo, Newser Staff
Amazon (AMZN) is looking to become a force in the apparel industry, but there's one rather big problem, as Farhad Manjoo discovered: Despite the site's vast selection, it's still difficult to find pants that actually fit.
This is a big problem with online retailers in general, which could be why online clothing sales haven't taken off: A huge percentage of customers end up returning clothes, because ordering them often amounts to a guessing game.
Even if you think you know your size, not all clothes are "true to size" -- meaning there's no guarantee you'll actually be able to zip the pants you order. If Amazon truly wants to dominate the game, Manjoo offers some suggestions on Slate:
| More from Newser
Cost of Closing Your Bank Account: Up to $55
NYC Moves to Ban Big, Sugary Drinks
Elvis Tomb to Be Auctioned
- Me-Ality has set up booths across the nation where customers can get body-scanned to learn their exact dimensions. Sure, it's kind of a "wacky" idea, but if Amazon listed clothes by scanned size, you could be pretty sure they'd fit.
- True Fit uses information about your body type, the sizes in particular brands that usually fit you, and the clothes you already wear to predict what other clothes might fit you.
--Written by Evann Gastaldo of Newser
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV