The largest U.S. automaker said it sold 246,479 vehicles in May, with retail sales up 14%, Chevrolet sales up 10% and Buick and GMC sales both up 19%. Cadillac sales fell 15% to 9,871 units, as six of seven available Cadillac vehicles showed sales declines, but retail sales of the top three Cadillac vehicles were up 6%.
Sales of the Buick Enclave, however, rose 55% to 6,709 units.
At Chevrolet, Volt sales rose 249% to 1,680: A year earlier, GM reduced Volt production as it reconfigured the plant. May sales of the Silverado, the best-selling Chevrolet vehicle, rose 22% to 34,555. But Cruze sales fell 14% to 19,613 as Japanese automakers were back in the market in force in May. Toyota (TM) said its sales rose 87% in May.
"GM's sales in May were the highest in almost three years and we are poised to keep delivering good news for the U.S. economy with one of the most aggressive new product offenses in our history," said Don Johnson, vice president, U.S. Sales Operations, in a prepared statement."About 70 percent of our nameplates will be new or freshened over the course of 2012 and 2013 and that positions us very well as the industry and GM start to approach pre-recession sales levels," Johnson said. -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/tedreednc.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV