Portland General Electric
New Dividend: 27.5 cents quarterly (per share)
Dividend Percent Increase: 1.89%Current Yield: 4.31% Oregon-based power and gas utility Portland General Electric (POR) may not be the biggest dividend hike of the week on a percentage basis, but that doesn't mean that this small-cap firm doesn't pay out substantial cash -- it does. A paltry 1.89% dividend increase last week brings the firm's dividend yield up to a hefty 4.31%. The firm isn't merely a regulated utility -- it's also a generation firm with 2,700 megawatts of capacity spread across a handful of plants in the Pacific Northwest. Being a regulated utility gives Portland General regular, predictable income streams, while power generation adds some a speculative angle to the firm's earnings power (generation profits are largely commodity-driven, after all). That's an attractive combination for income investors looking for something other than the standard large-cap utility stock. A reasonable balance sheet and an impetus on dividend hikes make Portland General a solid core holding for income investors in 2012. To see these dividend plays in action, check out the Dividend Stocks for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. And if you haven't already done so, join Stockpickr today to create your own dividend portfolio. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV