BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- To heck with the "summer doldrums." Believe it or not, plenty of companies are trying to shovel more cash to investors in May.
And with treasury rates plunging to record lows this week, those dividend payouts are looking more attractive than ever. There's a big disconnect between firms' fundamental performance and the price of those same firms' shares right now. Even though corporations are earning bigger profits than they ever have before, the S&P 500 has still managed to drop by more than 7.2% in the last month. That's part of the reason why so many stocks are ratcheting up their dividend payouts.
Today, more S&P 500 components pay a cash dividend than any time in the last two decades. And they're paying out more cash than ever before: Each hypothetical share of the index pays out more than $29 in cold hard cash at last count.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV