American Electric Power Co Inc (AEP): Today's Featured Utilities Winner
American Electric Power (AEP) pushed the Utilities sector higher today making it today's featured utilities winner. The sector as a whole closed the day up 0.4%. By the end of trading, American Electric Power rose 31 cents (0.8%) to $38.51 on light volume. Throughout the day, 2.8 million shares of American Electric Power exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of four million shares. The stock ranged in a price between $38.20-$38.70 after having opened the day at $38.21 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $38.20. Other companies within the Utilities sector that increased today were: Dynegy (DYN), up 7.7%, Huaneng Power International (HNP), up 3.7%, Centrais Eletricas Brasileiras (EBR), up 3.1%, and Ellomay Capital (ELLO), up 2.6%. American Electric Power Company, Inc., a public utility holding company, engages in the generation, transmission, and distribution of electric power to retail customers. It generates electricity using coal and lignite, natural gas, nuclear energy, and hydroelectric energy. American Electric Power has a market cap of $18.63 billion and is part of the utilities industry. The company has a P/E ratio of 11.6, above the average utilities industry P/E ratio of 9.4 and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are down 7.5% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. Currently there are seven analysts that rate American Electric Power a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 10 rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates American Electric Power as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income, attractive valuation levels, good cash flow from operations, notable return on equity and growth in earnings per share. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally poor debt management on most measures that we evaluated.
- You can view the full American Electric Ratings Report.
- Use our utilities section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV