The big data specialist brought in revenue of $37.2 million, an 80% hike compared to the same period last year, and comfortably above analysts' forecast of $34.1 million. Excluding items, Splunk lost 4 cents a share. Analysts surveyed by
Yahoo! Finance were looking for a loss of 6 cents a share.
Splunk reported its first-quarter results after market close.
"Our first quarter was a strong start to fiscal 2013 and continues the momentum we experienced last year," explained Splunk CEO Godfrey Sullivan, in a statement released after market close. "We added more than 350 new customers and now have over 4,000 customers using Splunk software to achieve operational intelligence from their machine-generated data."
For the second quarter, Splunk expects revenue between $38 million and $40 million, above Wall Street's forecast of $34.48 million. For the fiscal year, the San Francisco-based company projects sales of between $174 million and $177 million. Analysts surveyed by Yahoo! Finance are looking for revenue of $172.34 million.Splunk shares slipped 0.09% to $32.53 in extended trading on Thursday. -- Written by James Rogers in New York. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV