Beware Not-So-Safe Havens
XLU's PE-to-growth multiple -- a metric used to gauge how expensive future earnings are -- is close to 4x right now. The same metric for the broad market is just above 1x, indicating a huge premium baked into utilities. A sector with long-term earnings growth expected to come in at around 3% isn't worth the huge multiple being afforded to XLU. This ETF has thrived thanks to major interest in lowering volatility, but it hasn't earned the appreciation through commensurate earnings growth. The unearned premium will ultimately deflate, which makes utilities ETFs such as XLU a dangerous place to seek shelter now.If you're fed up with the volatility and would prefer to wait until the European debt drama subsides, it makes more sense to pull risk off the table completely. Don't be tempted by the historical appeal of gold, or the perceived stability of utilities. Climb into cash with a zero risk fund such as PIMCO's MINT or State Street's BIL. In the current environment, gold and utilities are flawed options that could serve to only deepen your losses.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV