With oil stocks dropping in price as quickly as they have, be careful not to fall for "dividend traps." Payout ratios up to 50% to 60% are acceptable as long as revenue and margins are stable. As oil prices continue to drop, and I believe they will, margins will get squeezed along with profits. Earnings misses and dividend reductions are two of the surest ways to move a stock price lower.
Large yields also typically results in lower cost for portfolio protection with options. If you're not ready to sell your shares, look toward buying puts and or selling calls against shares to help mitigate risk.
Expect retests of the 200-day moving average of the XLE ETF near $61, Exxon near $74 and Marathon near $18. USO and Conoco are already trading below the 200-day moving average.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV