AMSTERDAM, May 31, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- VimpelCom Ltd. ("VimpelCom" or the "Company") (NYSE: VIP), a leading global provider of telecommunications services, announces that in light of injunctions issued by the Moscow Arbitration Court (including the prohibition on the payment of dividends by the Company's wholly-owned Russian subsidiary OJSC "Vimpel-Communications") in relation to the claims by the Russian Federal Anti-Monopoly Service ("FAS") against Telenor and Weather II:
- The Supervisory Board of the Company considers it prudent and in the best interests of VimpelCom to postpone the payment and cancel the June 1, 2012 record date of the final dividend relating to the Company's 2011 results. The Supervisory Board of the Company will make a decision whether to pay the final 2011 dividend at a later date and will set a new record date as appropriate.
- The Company plans to hold its annual general shareholders meeting ("AGM") in December 2012, with the exact date to be notified by the Supervisory Board.
- The Company will continue to assess the situation as further developments occur.
DisclaimerThis release contains "forward-looking statements," as the phrase is defined in Section 27A of the Securities Act and Section 21E of the Exchange Act, relating to the FAS claim and related injunctions, the impact of the claim and injunctions on the VimpelCom Group, the timing of the Company's AGM, and the timing and amount of future payments of dividends by VimpelCom. These forward-looking statements are based on management's best assessment of the Company's legal position and the Company's understanding of current circumstances. The actual outcome may differ materially from these statements and there can be no assurance that VimpelCom will be able to hold its AGM when intended, will be able to pay all or part of the postponed dividends, succeed in any challenges with respect to the FAS claim or injunction and that the determination or postponement of determination by the court with respect to the FAS claim and injunction appeals or any challenges made by VimpelCom to the FAS claim or injunction appeals will not have a material adverse affect on VimpelCom resulting from, among other things, its continued inability to receive dividends or other distributions from OJSC VimpelCom or the suspension or termination of material licenses or permits held by OJSC VimpelCom, denial of new licenses and permits or other adverse actions by Russian regulators. Certain factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those discussed in any forward-looking statements include the risk factors described in the Company's Annual Report on Form 20-F for the year ended December 31, 2011 and other public filings made by the Company with the SEC, which risk factors are incorporated herein by reference. The Company disclaims any obligation to update developments of these risk factors or to announce publicly any revision to any of the forward-looking statements contained in this release, or to make corrections to reflect future events or developments.
About VimpelComVimpelCom is one of the world's largest integrated telecommunications services operators providing voice and data services through a range of traditional and broadband mobile and fixed technologies in Russia, Italy, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Armenia, Georgia, Kyrgyzstan, Cambodia, Laos, Algeria, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Burundi, Zimbabwe, Central African Republic and Canada. VimpelCom's operations around the globe cover territory with a total population of approximately 782 million people. VimpelCom provides services under the "Beeline," "Kyivstar," "djuice," "Wind," "Infostrada" "Mobilink," "Leo," "banglalink," "Telecel," and "Djezzy" brands. As of March 31, 2012 VimpelCom had 209 million mobile subscribers on a combined basis. VimpelCom is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol (VIP). For more information visit: http://www.vimpelcom.com
SOURCE VimpelCom Ltd.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV