U.S. automobile sales are expected to rise to 14.3 million vehicles in 2012, from 12.8 million units in 2011 and 11.6 million vehicles in 2010 and after cars sales hit their lowest levels in decades during 2008 and 2009 of about 10.4 million to 10.5 million vehicles. We are headed for the best year in domestic sales since 16.1 million vehicles were delivered in 2007.
For March, Ford (F) reported that sales rose 5% percent for cars and 9% for its signature F-series pickup truck. Ford and Chrysler will be curtailing or slimming down typical summer shutdowns to keep production moving along.>>5 Stocks Poised to Pop on Positive Earnings Ford is expected to earn $1.48 in 2012 vs. $1.51 in 2011. On a preliminary basis, earnings per share of $1.72 are expected by analysts in 2013. Why are expectations off for 2012 despite the strong showing in the U.S.? The answer is quite simple: Europe. After nearly six years of not paying a dividend, Ford reinstated the dividend in 2012. The stock is hated by traders, having fallen over 28% from its 52-week high. Selling at 7 times this year's earnings, Ford is just too good of a bargain and too oversold to overlook. As of the most recently reported quarter, Ford was one of the top holdings at David Tepper's Appaloosa Management.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV