NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ Revenue and staffing are both growing at small businesses but have yet to get back to pre-recession levels, according to data released by business software provider Intuit Inc. on Wednesday.
The company's Small Business Revenue Index shows that retail, professional services, construction and real estate businesses saw revenue increases in April. Revenue was flat for employers in food service, health care and social services.
The Revenue Index is based on data from 170,000 small businesses.
The Small Business Employment Index showed a 0.2 percent rise in employment for the current month through May 23 compared with the month before. This is equal to about 40,000 jobs created, but that number is likely to change as Intuit recalibrates the index.The Mountain and East South Central regions experienced the most employment growth during the month, with the Arizona, Colorado and Virginia experiencing the biggest gains. The Employment Index is based on data from 78,000 small business employers. "Both (indexes) indicate there is a recovery under way. We need growth at this level for two more years for small business employment to return to the level we saw in early 2007," Susan Woodward, an economist who worked with Intuit on the indexes, said in a statement.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV