Ackman: JCPenney Sales Have Hit 'Bottom'
By Christina Cheddar Berk, News Editor
NEW YORK (CNBC) -- Hedge fund manager Bill Ackman remains steadfast in his belief that his investment in JCPenney (JCP) will pay off, and says he has the patience to wait out the company's turnaround under new CEO Ron Johnson.
In an interview Tuesday with CNBC's "Squawk Box," Ackman said JCPenney has the right management and the right strategy in place.
Pershing Square, the firm Ackman founded, has placed a big bet on JCPenney and is the department store retailer's largest shareholder. As of March 31, Ackman owned about 39 million shares, or about 17.9% of the company.That means Ackman took a big hit earlier this month when JCPenney shares plunged in the wake of a disappointing earnings report that signaled to some investors that the struggling retailer's new strategy may take some time to boost sales.
More from CNBC
Curt Schilling's Videogame Company Goes Bust
Career Skills: Do's and Don'ts of Ice Breakers
Auto Jobs: Sign of the Times
--Written by Christina Cheddar Berk at CNBC
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV