DETROIT, May 30, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- While storm forecasters expect a near normal hurricane season, all OnStar customers regardless of subscription plan have access to Crisis Assist services.
Friday ( June 1) marks the start of Atlantic Hurricane season, with this week known as Hurricane Preparedness Week. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) Climate Prediction Center predicts a 70 percent chance of nine to 15 named storms during this season, with four to eight strengthening to a hurricane.
Although NOAA forecasts a less active season than past years, anyone living near or traveling to a hurricane-prone area should be prepared. Hurricanes may endanger coastal areas with flooding, storm surges, high winds and other destructive effects. More than 860,000 OnStar customers reside in coastal areas and can learn to plan for any disaster.
In a hurricane or other disaster, a push of OnStar's red emergency or blue button will put drivers in contact with an Advisor, who can help with:
- Emergency services: Advisors can contact emergency responders if needed and direct them to the subscriber's exact vehicle location, using OnStar's embedded cellular system and Global Positioning System (GPS) satellite technology.
- Routing assistance: Advisors will help provide alternate routes, evacuation routes, and directions to hospitals, hotels or shelters
- Central point of contact for assistance: Advisors can provide crisis information and centralized assistance when subscribers need, for example, weather updates, hotel accommodations or help reporting power outages or road closures.
- Keeping subscribers connected: Subscribers who are without power in their homes and cannot recharge their cell phone or are having trouble getting cellular service can use OnStar Hands-Free Calling to stay connected; or they can contact OnStar directly by pressing the red or blue button for assistance in connecting to a loved one.
- Reporting new incidents: OnStar encourages subscribers to be Good Samaritans and contact an Advisor whenever they witness a dangerous situation or someone with an emergency need, so that the Advisor can inform appropriate public safety officials.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV